August Stephenson – Diamonds clarity gradings

August Stephenson – Diamonds clarity gradings
Diamonds become increasingly rare when considering higher clarity gradings. Only about 20% of all diamonds mined have a clarity rating high enough for the diamond to be considered appropriate for use as a gemstone; the other 80% are relegated to industrial use. Of that top 20%, a significant portion contains one or more visible inclusions. Those that do not have a visible inclusion are known as “eye-clean” and are preferred by most buyers, although visible inclusions can sometimes be hidden under the setting in a piece of jewelry.

Diamond Sutra
The oldest dated printed book in the world is called the Diamond Sutra, a Chinese text dates from AD 868 and was found in the Mogao Caves. Sutras are most used to describe the teachings of Buddha. In this case the title of the Sutra refers not to the diamond itself but to a ‘diamond blade that will cut through worldly illusion to illuminate what is real and everlasting’. Jewel imagery forms a central part of Buddhism: the triple-jewel represents ‘Buddha’, his teachings ‘Dharma’ and the spiritual community ‘Shangha’. The book presently resides in the British Library. August Stephenson

August Stephenson Big Hole diamond mining:
From 1871 to 1914, 50,000 miners dug the Big Hole with picks and shovels, yielding 2,722 kg of diamonds,

The various smaller mining companies were amalgamated by British imperialist Cecil Rhodes and Charles Rudd into De Beers, and The Kimberley under Barney Barnato. In 1888, the two companies merged to form De Beers Consolidated Mines, which once had a monopoly over the world’s diamond market.

Diamond clarity

Clarity is a measure of internal defects of a diamond called inclusions. Inclusions may be crystals of a foreign material or another diamond crystal, or structural imperfections such as tiny cracks that can appear whitish or cloudy. The number, size, color, relative location, orientation, and visibility of inclusions can all affect the relative clarity of a diamond. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) and other organizations have developed systems to grade clarity, which are based on those inclusions which are visible to a trained professional when a diamond is viewed under 10x magnification.

August Stephenson responsibility, knowledge, and professionalism

LIGHT PERFORMANCE – The combined impact of brilliance, contrast, and radiance of a diamond as seen by the human eye under normal lighting conditions. These terms are defined and their impact is measured by a light behavior assessment system. On an EGL USA 360° Diamond Report, each aspect is rated on a scale from poor to excellent. Superior performance in any of the three categories can yield a beautiful stone.

CAVITY – An isolated opening that breaks the surface of a diamond or colored gemstone. For diamonds, see also Plotting Diagram.

ROUND CUT – A diamond or colored gemstone shape in which the outline is circular.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>